Pleased to meet Ya

Now it's time to say Hello to me and all my kin
I would like to thank you folks for kindly droppin' in
You're all invited back again to this locality
To have a heapin' helpin' of our hospitality!
Hillbilly, that is, sit a spell, take your shoes off
Y'all come back now, ya hear?

--adapted from "The Beverly Hillbillies" by Paul Henning

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Doin' the Mash

Fer those that don't know much bout me, I was borned n raised n lived near Kansas City, Missouri my whole life. Well ceptin the two yrs we lived in southern Missouri. Now, mind you, the Kansas City metro area is a large area. I never onct lived in Kansas City proper like. The little ol' town I like to call my 'home town' is about 45 miles away from Kansas City. But, it still in the Kansas City area.

Now mos' Kansas City people wouldn't consider themselves hillbillies. But, when you spend alot o' spare time stompin' roun' the Ozarks, then you call call yurself a hillbilly. Thet's me. Well, anyway's, this here story be bout Kansas City an not the Ozarks.

When I lived down yonder fer a couple o' years, I got me to cravin' a couple of yummies thet I jest assumed you could get anywhere's. One day I was really cravin em bad like (bein pregnant does that to ya), and we couldn't find em! That were dreadful!

So's now that I'm livin back in my homeland, I thought I'd jest up and tell ya bout some of the Kansas City things you all be missin out on. An you can sees for yourselves thet there jus ain't nowhere like Kansas City!


You see that little ol big pile of Cherry Mash's? That be my stash. Yep. Pa figured I needed some and went n bought me a whole pile o' them. Cherry Mash is the top selling cherry candy bar in whole cuntry. Only, you can only get em roun here. Must mean other homeland folk feel the same as I do bout these little gems.

Ifn you can't find Cherry Mash in yur homeplace, I recommend thet ye jus order them on the Cherry Mash Homepage. Also on the homepage you can find a Cherry Mash song RIGHT HERE or some recipes HERE.

Nex time I fix my husband up a dinner all fancy, I jest might make this recipe: (borrowed from their site)

CHERRY MASH COOKIES


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
8 small Cherry Mash chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Gradually beat in flour mixture.
Stir in Cherry Mash.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on baking sheets for two minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 18 to 20 large cookies.
With our thanks to Bonnie Lytton





You lickin' yur lips, yet?

5 comments:

  1. Love the smiley face - but have no idea what a Cherry Mash is! Is it a chocolate sweet with cherry filling, or a boiled sweet you suck on?
    We're a ways behind you, its only recently we've had Reece peanut butter cups selling in the local store in England :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of an open shot til I was already writing the blog. It is a very rich mashed up cherry center and a thick peanot and chocolate coating. I wonder if I could ship some to you this winter? It would be no good now. You'd get cherry goo. How do you like Reeces?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I want one now... Thanks Sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reeces are ok, but very salty. So I only have a 3 pack every now and then. It might be months between them :)

    ReplyDelete